Friday, August 05, 2005

NaNoWriMo in August


I am writing a novel!

While in the States this year I bought a book (one of many I've bought on the subject over the years) called, No Plot? No Problem!, which walks you through the process of writing a book in 30 days.

The author basically shares two ideas: trash your internal editor and create a deadline for yourself. The writer was either the creator or part of the creation of NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month. The "competition" is kind of like running a literary marathon of sorts. You don't really enter to win but more to prove it to yourself that you can do it. The only problem is that the competition is in November which is just impossible for me because of our preparations for our beach project. So I'm declaring August my own personal NaNoWriMo.

Feel free to write a word of encouragement and to check in on me to see how everything is going. One great benefit is that we'll be TV-FREE this month, since that's one of the things I cut out to have time for writing. Amy's goal is one page of Creative Memories a night for Simon's baby album before the little girl arrives.

Today is Day 5 and my word count is 7,206 of 50,000.

No comments: