Friday, April 02, 2021

my life wouldn't change too drastically

I normally cringe when I hear the comment, "you said..." because I often speak before thinking. This was the case before moving to Brazil, when I remember telling some of you how "my life wouldn't change too drastically" because I would still be cooking and cleaning, teaching the kids, and trying to minister to those around me. Those daily things seemed almost like second nature, but I failed to realize the changes, and many times difficulty, I would face trying to accomplish the smallest of tasks in another country. During this "lockdown" period, I wanted to share a few reflections from the "home front". 

Amy making tapioca crepes.

We have adjusted how we eat to fall more in line with the culture, meaning we eat 4 times a day, with lunch being the one time I cook. Everything else is snack food, but for those who know us, we can easily make a snack into a meal. A friend recently shared some recipes with me (which was super helpful in that I have needed some inspiration). They were quick and simple recipes in the US, but a bit more involved here. A few examples:

  • sour cream (don't forget to strain the water out overnight in the fridge before use)
  • cream of chicken soup (chicken broth and table cream will work)
  • canned beans (they are dried here--so thankful for the Instant Pot!)
  • shredded cheese (ask a family member to grate while I cook)
  • Jimmy Dean sausage (well, just ask the butcher to grind some pork, twice please, and add the seasoning when you get home)

All fruits and vegetables need to be washed and sanitized too. I have learned so much from the failures and actually enjoyed the many successes!

Thanks to a local friend, I learned which cleaners to use here. We mostly use dish soap for everything except the bathroom, so that is nice. Washing windows with bars on them is no small feat. Finally, I think I've saved up my whole life for the ironing I've done here. So glad my momma taught me how to do it! Without a dryer, and only cold water to wash in, ironing is a good way to sanitize and soften our laundry. 

School has been a good stable part of our days. With everything here being online, I am very thankful that we have the option of homeschooling, and I am so proud of the hard work Lucy and Everett are putting into their studies, especially with most of it being in Portuguese!

I've recently been reading Teaching from Rest by Sarah Mackenzie and I was so convicted and encouraged right from the beginning. The following words spoke to me, and I would like to share them with you.

"We are, however, meant to recognize every facet of our day as coming from the hand of God. It all passes through His fingers first, and He uses it to make sure we lean hard on Him." (p 3)

May this Easter season find all of us leaning hard on Him. Love and hugs from afar!

Love, 

Amy

Read Braden's update.

1 comment:

Jodi York said...

Hi Amy! Great to read a post from you and know how you are doing. Funny how something as normal as cooking can look completely different in a different country. There are actually places without Jimmy Dean sausage and canned beans?!?! Have Mercy! I can't even comment on the ironing. No. Just no. I hope you have had a wonderful Easter Sunday! And I pray you are free of lockdown very soon!

Jodi York and family