Friday, November 04, 2005

filipino observations

I asked Karen to share some of her thoughts on her time here in Brazil. Here's what she had to say after her long trip home. She got delayed again on the way. Go figure.


Last week I went for what I thought would be 5 long days in Brasil, but it turned out to be one quick adventure with the Dowdys. I've been living in Asia for some time and it's obvious I'm not a local, so wherever I go, people always begin by speaking English with me. So, I was quite surprised when I landed in Brasil and everyone started with Portuguese and then switched to English only after noticing the blank stare on my face. Another surpriser was having to greet everyone with a kiss. During the in-town retreat, I had plenty of opportunities to practice my new greeting skill. After the first night, I turned to Amy and confessed, "I've never kissed so many guys in one night."

All uncomfortableness aside, Belo is a wonderful city and I enjoyed not only spending time with the 5 Dowdys but spending time with the students they work with. Trip is highly recommended, I give it 5 stars.

karen

No comments: