Saturday, October 15, 2005

flat on my back


Since Wednesday afternoon I've been laid out flat! Wednesday was Dia das Crianças (Kid's Day), a national holiday here in Brazil, and we had two families over for a Brazilian barbecue and swimming for the kids (Emmi Long and Kate Dempsey in the pic). Our pool is more like a wading pool, but great for the kids.



Towards the end of the day I finally sat down in one of the tin fold-out chairs we have and maybe stayed in that position for an hour or so talking with the guys. When I tried to stand up I couldn't straighten up. On Thursday Chico took me to the doctor and I learned that I had injured a muscle in my lower back. The doctor told me to take some muscle relaxers and stay flat on my back in bed for two days. So that's where I've been.

It's been productive though. I've almost finished a new book I'm reading, The Insider, by Jim Petersen. He's coming to Brazil in November to speak to our staff team for a few days. I'm extremely curious considering he lived in Brazil as a missionary to college students for 18 years with the Navigators back in the 60's.

No comments: