Saturday, November 27, 2004

thanksgiving brazilian-style

We celebrated Thanksgiving with our staff family yesterday. We had most of all the trimmings: turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, etc... We watched football. It was a two-week old game recorded on a VHS tape, but still football. Mostly it was just nice to be with one another and to share the day together.

Maybe a new tradition started yesterday. We played Tiger Woods Golf. I guess when you don't get on the course in years and years, Tiger Woods can seem just as good as the "real thing". We had a good time. The game even lets you design a player to look like yourself (yet hopefully that doesn't play like yourself in my case).

I guess if I ever overdid it in the States on Thanksgiving, I overdo it here and then some. When you eat beans and rice everyday, and you arrive in that kitchen and stare down that long line of mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, spinach casserole, dressing, etc... It's hard to say no.

Also in almost everything, if I'm excited about something I want everyone else to be excited with me. That's just not possible with the Brazilian staff here. They enjoy it. They love to see everybody, but they just don't "feel" it. They had to develop a taste for the strange plates we put out and they don't understand that sitting around on the couch and watching football is part of the ritual. It's hard for them to get it.

I hope everyone's Thanksgiving was nice wherever you are.

No comments: